Northeast Regional Communications Director, Energy Media
Energy Media, a collaboration of the Energy Foundation and Resource Media, is seeking an experienced political communications professional to join our Washington, DC-based team as our Northeast Regional Communications Director. While our ideal candidate would be located in Washington, DC, we are open to remote workers in other locations who have deep experience in the Northeast and a strong understanding of the unique dynamics of the region.
The Northeast Regional Communications Director for Energy Media plays a key role working with the Energy Foundation and its grantees to shift the region towards embracing clean energy solutions to take on the climate crisis. This means helping to craft and execute state- and region-focused communications strategies in the region that lead to durable support for clean energy solutions in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and other states. This person will work with colleagues at the Energy Foundation to guide strategy in the region, while interfacing with grantees and partners in these states to ensure they are supported for maximum impact.
The ideal candidate is a collaborator by nature, as this job requires developing and maintaining durable relationships with an assortment of partners inside and outside our teams. Beyond interpersonal skills, the ideal candidate will have deep experience in political communications while also possessing strong media relations and project management skills. Understanding of digital and data-based communications tactics is a must, as is the ability to prioritize competing requests while adjusting to the rapidly changing political and media environments. The Northeast Regional Communications Director must have a solid understanding and commitment to and/or have a lived experience of the principles and foundation of diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Regional Communications Director reports to the Energy Media Director at Resource Media and will work closely with the regionally-based Energy Foundation Northeast Team, including campaigns and policy staff.
Resource Media works to create a more just and sustainable world by harnessing the power of communications and community to create change. As a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm, we highly value an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Here are some of the things you’ll be working on as the Northeast Regional Communications Director:
- Develop and execute communications strategies focused on driving long-term narrative change with storylines that build cultural and political pressure for clean energy and climate change policy action in service of the public good.
- Collaborate with Energy Foundation’s Northeast Regional Team and state-based consultants and grantees on grant strategy and activities to build power and capacity throughout the region.
- Coordinate communications activities on campaigns and projects across multiple platforms and partners, creating and managing calendars, ensuring projects are completed on-time and within budget.
- Generate and direct production of content for a variety of channels, platforms and purposes, ranging from blogs, op-eds, press releases, social memes, videos and paid media.
- Plan and facilitate meetings, trainings and other events, including creating agendas, developing content, taking and synthesizing notes and identifying and communicating next steps.
- Manage a regional communications budget and individual project budgets as needed.
- Manage consultants and contractors such as designers, video producers, web builders and photographers as needed.
- Help devise and provide feedback on communications-related grants and contracts, and partner closely with other communicators active in the Northeast.
- Advise the Energy Foundation Northeast Regional team on communications strategies and tactics as needed, including on opportunities for communications-related grantmaking and capacity-building for grantees.
- Support the Energy Foundation Northeast Regional team in developing and deploying communications strategies and tactics to execute successful issue advocacy campaigns in the region.
- Help develop funder reports, proposals, and regularly engage with key funding partners.
Diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Commitment that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world.
- Supports and participates in equity and inclusion work in the organization, including participation in relevant committees, trainings and caucuses.
- Demonstrates a keen understanding of one’s own race, culture and identity and how it fits into the staff and client environment and landscape, as well as the world at large.
- Models vulnerability and accountability.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Models a sensitivity toward dynamics between white mainstream audiences and the needs and priorities of diverse communities, and the ability to manage work within and for a number of different identities, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrates an ability to communicate across differences that exist between executive leadership and direct reports in a way that fosters learning, understanding and mutual respect.
Salary and Benefits
We want to be able to attract the best of the best and make sure they keep getting better. Therefore, our employees enjoy benefits that make them productive and contribute directly to their professional and personal development. This full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $100,000 – $130,000 offers a lively, spirited and intellectually-stimulating workplace. We are committed to the health, well-being and work-life balance of our team, so we’ve also added:
- Flexible family-friendly work schedules
- Medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, Life and AD&D with a generous employer contribution to the premiums of approximately 90% for employees, spouses/partners and their dependents
- Support for the rest and regeneration of our employees, by offering generous paid time off which includes 3 weeks of vacation to start; sick days, personal days, 8 holidays as well as an end of the year winter break.
- Mobile phone & home internet subsidy
- Transit subsidy
- 403(b) plan with company match
- Support for professional development
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to jobs@Resource-Media.org. Please have “Northeast Communications Director Position” in the subject line. Please include your name in the file name of your Resume and Cover letter.