Resource Media is on a mission! What are we up to? Creating a more just and sustainable world by harnessing the power of communications and community to create change— and we need your help.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communication needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
It’s a noisy world out there, and being heard is only half the battle; the other half is changing hearts and minds. Resource Media offers communications services to do both. We help our partners anchor their story in values, build bridges, mobilize supporters, and drive conversations in pursuit of sustainability, health, equity and justice.
At Resource Media, we believe that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world. We embrace and honor differences in age, culture, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees and our partners unique.
We believe it is a strategic and moral imperative to build cultural competence and fight oppression in all its forms, both within our organization and in the work that we do.
We commit to:
- Pursue ongoing learning, self-reflection, candor and transparency about equity and justice in our organization and in our work.
- Build relationships and partnerships that dismantle interlocking systems of oppression and shift power to marginalized communities.
- Evaluate our decision-making and strategy through the lens of equity and justice.
- Conduct regular and public assessments of our progress and effectiveness on equity issues.
- Dedicate two percent of all our revenue to an Equity Impact Program to enable us to respond to more opportunities and needs that arise from those working in diverse and historically marginalized communities.
About the Position
We’re looking for a Development Database Manager to join our team in Seattle working to create a more just and sustainable world. We’re seeking someone who is motivated by social justice and excited by the prospect of helping a nonprofit, mission-driven communications consulting firm adapt solid fundraising business practices and database strategies that maximize our impact. You should be skilled at the basics of nonprofit grants and database management, and eager to jump in to assist with the development function.
In this newly defined position, the Development Database Manager will play an important role in the fundraising process for Resource Media, managing administration of the organization’s Salesforce database and assisting the Executive Team in decision-making related to grants management and business development. Using your planning, directing and coordinating expertise, you will partner with the Development Director, Executive Director, Operations Director and other staff to ensure milestones are met, activity is tracked, and priorities move forward. This full-time exempt position reports to the Development Director, and offers opportunities to advance your career at Resource Media.
Development Database Management
- As primary administrator for Resource Media’s Salesforce database, responsibilities include the following:
- Act as organizational point-of-contact resource for Salesforce. Serve as primary support contact for users on an ongoing basis.
- Keep abreast of new Salesforce features, functionality and integrations to provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Establish policies, document and maintain operational procedures for database usage.
- Ensure data integrity and collaborate with other team members to ensure consistent data entry protocols.
- Ensure accurate tracking of development opportunities, scoping, time tracking and other CRM functions.
- Provide individual and group training as needed.
- Support new strategies for use of technology in development, in collaboration with colleagues. Develop, maintain, and execute a roadmap of platform enhancements, including a system for communicating updates and priorities to the organization.
- Check-in with users, executives, and key stakeholders on a regular schedule to gather feedback, identify opportunities for improvement and advocate for CRM-centric business practices.
- Maintain regular reports and create new reports and functionality as needed.
- Work with Development Director and external Salesforce consultant to troubleshoot issues.
Grants & Data Systems Management
- This position also integrates with our program and accounting teams to aid in managing our grants and accounting/data systems, responsibilities of which include:
- Managing the process of drafting and execution of all proposals and reports, including the financial component. Work with all Resource Media project staff where needed to create project budgets, ensuring quality control and consistency for budgets in proposals and reports. Maintain grant renewal and reporting calendar and coordinate various individual contributors to ensure timely submission of all proposals and reports.
- Track, produce and analyze project budgets and expenditures; prepare reports for project leads and senior staff and develop financial reports for donors in consultation with the operations and finance team.
- Manage communications between the finance department and program staff.
- Work collaboratively and participate in cross-disciplinary teams with colleagues.
- File/Knowledge Systems administration, including maintaining official electronic grant and contract files, final versions of proposals, logic models, budgets, contracts, grant agreements, reports, etc.
- Advise on potential improvements to project tracking and reporting, including follow up with staff on activities and the technology used to support project management.
- Perform general duties or other special projects, as assigned by the Development Director and Operations Director.
The Development Database Manager may be assigned other related duties as our work continues to grow and new opportunities arise.
What You Bring to the Team
- Relevant work experience in administration, database management, or fundraising/development, preferably within a nonprofit organization.
- Experience managing CRM database, proficiency in Salesforce preferred.
- Ability to set priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Ability to interpret and present financial information for use by decision-makers and project staff.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; self-starter with a sense of initiative and good judgment.
- Empathy, humility, and a desire to build authentic relationships and partnerships internally & externally.
- Work well independently and as a team, and respects and supports colleagues; conceives of individual actions as part of a greater whole.
- The desire and ability to continually grow and learn from others professionally and personally; seeks new challenges and professional opportunities.
- Thrive professionally in an innovative, constantly evolving work environment, and an interest in advancing fundraising goals and strategies for justice issues.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment, particularly related to confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities in a dynamic, sometimes uncertain environment; demonstrates flexibility in working style and range of work performed.
- Proactive; can foresee problems, solve them as well as prevent them by taking action; takes initiative and sees projects through to completion.
- Possesses a high standard of integrity and an open and honest manner of communication.
- A sense of humor and humanity to your work.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Believes that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world.
- Support and participate in equity and inclusion work in the organization, including participation in relevant committees, trainings and caucuses.
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of one’s own race, culture and identity and how it fits into the staff and client environment and landscape, as well as the world at large.
- Model vulnerability and accountability.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Model a sensitivity toward dynamics between white mainstream audiences and the needs and priorities of diverse communities, and the ability to manage work within and for a number of different audiences, regardless of their station.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate across differences that exist between executive leadership and direct reports in a way that fosters learning, understanding and advancement of staff of color.
Compensation & Benefits
We want to be able to attract the best of the best and make sure they keep getting better. This full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $50,000 – $65,000 offers an exciting, vibrant and intellectually challenging workplace, as well as:
- Flexible family-friendly work schedules
- Resource Media covers an average of 90% of medical premiums for employees, spouses/partners and their dependents AND 100% for dental, vision, LTD, STD and Life/AD&D
- To support the rest and regeneration of our employees, we offer generous paid time off which includes 3 weeks of vacation to start; sick days, personal days, 10 holidays as well as an end of the year winter break.
- Mobile phone subsidy
- 401(K) plan with company match
- Support for professional development.
Hiring Process & Timeline
- Please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject “Development Database Manager Position” to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- We will review resumes through the end of the year. Due to Resource Media’s holiday schedules, we anticipate conducting phone interviews in mid-January, plus one-hour in-person interviews following shortly thereafter.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
- Anticipated start in late January or early February 2020.
- Local applicants requested.
Come work with us in our bright, vibrant, collaborative Seattle office space, with positive vibes and beautiful views!
Resource Media prioritizes an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.