Resource Media is on a mission! What are we up to? Creating a more just and sustainable world by harnessing the power of communications and community to create change— and we need your help.
We are a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm that works in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes, but also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communication needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms.
It’s a noisy world out there, and being heard is only half the battle; the other half is changing hearts and minds. Resource Media offers communications services to do both. We help our partners anchor their story in values, build bridges, mobilize supporters, and drive conversations in pursuit of sustainability, health, equity and justice.
At Resource Media, we believe that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world. We embrace and honor differences in age, culture, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees and our partners unique.
We believe it is a strategic and moral imperative to build cultural competence and fight oppression in all its forms, both within our organization and in the work that we do.
We commit to:
- Pursue ongoing learning, self-reflection, candor and transparency about equity and justice in our organization and in our work.
- Build relationships and partnerships that dismantle interlocking systems of oppression and shift power to marginalized communities.
- Evaluate our decision-making and strategy through the lens of equity and justice.
- Conduct regular and public assessments of our progress and effectiveness on equity issues.
- Dedicate two percent of all our revenue to an Equity Impact Program to enable us to respond to more opportunities and needs that arise from those working in diverse and historically marginalized communities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Resource Media, a nonprofit communications organization, is looking for an Business/Accounting Manager for the day-to-day management of key business functions across our geographically distributed nonprofit (we are in 13 states!!). You would be the “go-to” to ensure organizational productivity and efficiency on a variety of office & general business operations, facilities management, bookkeeping and human resources functions. We are looking for someone who is motivated by advancing issues of racial and social justice and excited by the prospect of helping us build upon what we have accomplished so far, adapt practices that maximize our impact and make the world better every day. This full-time exempt position reports to the Operations Director and offers opportunities to make a significant impact and advance your career at Resource Media.
If you have the gift of creating and managing systems and efficiencies, keeping track of details, and a flair for supporting, connecting and communicating with stakeholders both internally and externally, we’d like to meet you.
Here are some of the things you’d be working on:
- Managing day-to-day business operations and vendor relationships
- Purchasing/Office supplies management
- Provide support for login questions (password resets)
- Monitor and distribute remote mail service
- Support management with preparation of board and finance committee meetings, including board materials, reports, coordinating travel as well as recording and distributing minutes for board committee meetings
- Inventory oversight (computer hardware, software)
- Facilitate contract administration and execution
- Primary contact for insurance
- General information technology needs and coordination with IT consultants
- Coordinating organization functions/events
- Vendor contract management (WeWork, Xantrion, Cision, Lexis Nexis, Sysomos, Egencia)
Support Human Resources
- Maintaining employee files, onboarding paperwork, new hires & termination
- Help facilitate recruiting, hiring and onboarding
- Payroll processing
- Gathering and coding receipts
- Obtaining approvals
- AP/AR entry
- Bank deposits
- Expense reports
- Banking & Credit Card reconciliations
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
- 3-5 years experience – with some bookkeeping/accounting, payroll and HR knowledge; preferably in a non-profit, social services or foundation/association environment
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks, ADP or similar finance/payroll software
- Empathy, humility, and a desire to build authentic relationships and partnerships internally & externally
- Self-starter with a sense of initiative, intuition and sound judgement, particularly related to confidential and sensitive information
- Work independently and as a team, and respects and supports colleagues with the understanding that individual actions are part of the greater whole
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, connect and influence key stakeholders both internally and externally.
- The desire to continually grow and learn from others professionally and personally seeking out new challenges and opportunities
- Flexibility and adaptability – ability to juggle multiple priorities in a dynamic, sometimes uncertain environment
- Proactive; can foresee problems, solve them as well as prevent them by taking action
- A hearty laugh and a great sense of humor!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
- Belief that equity is the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world.
- Support and participate in equity and inclusion work in the organization, including participation in relevant committees, trainings and caucuses.
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of one’s own race, culture and identity and how it fits into the staff and client environment and landscape, as well as the world at large.
- Model vulnerability and accountability.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Model a sensitivity toward dynamics between white mainstream audiences and the needs and priorities of diverse communities, and the ability to manage work within and for a number of different audiences, regardless of their station.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate across differences that exist between executive leadership and direct reports in a way that fosters learning, understanding and mutual respect.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
We want to be able to attract the best of the best and make sure they keep getting better. Therefore, our employees enjoy benefits that make them productive and contribute directly to their professional and personal development. This full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $60,000 – $70,000 offers a lively, spirited and intellectually-stimulating workplace. We are committed to the health, well-being and work-life balance of our team, so we’ve also added:
- Flexible family-friendly work schedules
- Generous employer contribution to benefit premiums of approximately 90% for employees, spouses/partners and their dependents
- Support for the rest and regeneration of our employees, by offering generous paid time off which includes 3 weeks of vacation to start; sick days, personal days, 8 holidays as well as an end of the year winter break.
- Mobile phone subsidy
- Transit subsidy
- 403(b) plan with company match
- Support for professional development
HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE
- Please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject “Business/Accounting Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- We will review resumes throughout January and we anticipate conducting phone interviews mid February. Those selected to move on in the hiring process will then be invited to a one hour in-person interview late February.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
- We would love to have someone start in the position early March.
Resource Media prioritizes an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.