You are a creative, curious, early-career communications professional with a passion for changing hearts and minds. You relish the challenge of figuring out new digital platforms and tools, love using social media to inspire, engage and build community, and you are a quick study and thrive in a fast-paced working environment.
You are also a strong writer and can easily pivot from writing Tweets to blog posts to internal memos. You enjoy research — whether mining news clips and online conversations for those “aha” moments or digging into public opinion research for the top lines.
Most importantly, you’re a committed team player who’s grounded in equity and justice. You bring self-awareness and humility to nurture healthy relationships with colleagues and clients.
Resource Media is a nonprofit PR firm working in support of social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes and support issues that impact the health of people and the planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, and sustainable food and farms.
At Resource Media, we know that there is no progress without equity. We embrace and honor differences in age, culture, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees and our partners unique. It’s both our moral and strategic imperative to build cultural competence and fight oppression in all its forms, both within our organization and in the work that we do.
We commit to:
- Pursue ongoing learning, self-reflection, candor, and transparency about equity and justice in our organization and in our work.
- Build relationships and partnerships that dismantle interlocking systems of oppression and shift power to marginalized communities.
- Evaluate our decision-making and strategy through the lens of equity and justice.
- Conduct regular and public assessments of our progress and effectiveness on equity issues.
- Dedicate two percent of all our revenue to an Equity Impact Program that enables us to respond to more opportunities and needs that arise from those working in diverse and historically marginalized communities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a creative, curious Seattle-based Program Coordinator who wants to make an impact in support of social change through smart communications strategies. “Program” at Resource Media refers to our mission-driven communications work, and this position would support a variety of projects primarily in California and the Pacific Northwest. Program Coordinators provide vital support to our project teams and are instrumental in implementing communications and outreach activities. Although we do not require prior experience working in any given issue area, we are looking for someone who has a passion for advancing issues of racial and social justice and progressive social change and is excited about helping community-based organizations build power and improve lives.
Program Coordinators at Resource Media are resourceful problem solvers who enjoy learning new skills. As a core member of project teams, their focus is to execute strategies that command attention, change hearts and minds, inspire action, build brands, and mobilize coalitions, all while carefully stewarding our clients’ resources. We are looking for someone with great communications instincts and we will provide mentorship, training and ongoing support.
Here are a few things you would be responsible for:
- Help execute communications and outreach strategies for legislative and legal battles and outreach campaigns, creating media, and outreach materials and conducting outreach.
- Research media stories and social media activity and analyze based on audiences, markets, messages, spokespeople, etc.
- Track and evaluate media values and social media activity, capturing relevant information in reports.
- Assist team members with preparing materials and deliverables for trainings, presentations, and meetings.
- Use our online reporter database and release distribution service to create media lists and send and track press campaigns.
- Conduct media outreach and create new media relationships with journalists through pitches, media advisories, news releases, op-eds, and social media.
- Staff media events to support event logistics and serve as social media arm.
- Find and manage vendors for website builds, graphic design, videography, SEO, etc.
- Support internal teams on social and digital strategy, leveraging a variety of tools including paid and promoted budgets, influencers, content channels, online calls to action, and online media placements.
- Help develop content for digital media, including copy, videos, memes, slideshows, story maps, and online calls to action.
- Manage and track social media accounts and hashtags for clients and project teams.
Relationship and Project Management
- Build relationships and trust with clients and funders, and represent Resource Media at (virtual for now) events and in meetings.
- Facilitate easy and fluid internal communications over Slack, email, and phone to reduce delays and misunderstanding.
- Support the business side of work by adhering to timelines, budget, and delegation to colleagues and contractors in order to deliver outstanding results for clients.
To be successful in this role, these minimum qualifications are essential:
- A starting background (about two years’ experience) in communications or public relations (assistant or associate-level), media, nonprofit communications, community-based advocacy, political or election campaign work, or the equivalent academic study or lived experience.
- Demonstrated talent for writing, editing, and proofreading for a range of different audiences (a writing test or writing samples may be required).
- Demonstrated experience in digital media platforms and strategy, from e-newsletters to Twitter and Instagram.
- Basic understanding of public policy and the role of communications in building support for social change.
- A commitment to social justice, racial equity, and intersectional practice with experience executing those values through your work.
- Strong working knowledge of standard office platforms (Resource Media uses G Suite) and an interest in and aptitude for learning new software and platforms.
- A willingness to learn on the job and be flexible with the fast-paced nature of campaigns and client work.
- Ability to manage details and track work with multiple teams with shifting priorities and timelines.
Desired skills and gifts you may have to bring to the team:
- Experience working for a PR or communications agency or other consulting experience.
- Experience in a complementary field, such as organizing, community outreach, political or electoral campaigning, event management, and public affairs.
- Experience doing media relations or working with news outlets.
- Visual storytelling technical skills (Canva, ESRI storymaps, Wochit) and background.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) are a plus.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $45,000 – $57,000 based out of our Seattle, WA office. Resource Media offers a lively, spirited, intellectually-stimulating, and geographically-diverse workplace and we are committed to the health, well-being, and work-life balance of our team. Our benefits include:
- Flexible, family-friendly work schedules
- Generous employer contribution of ~90% to Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D insurance, Short Term & Long Term Disability.
- Support for the rest and regeneration with generous paid time off, including 3 weeks of vacation to start; sick days, personal days, 8 holidays, as well as an end-of-the-year winter break
- Maternity and Paternity leave
- Mobile phone and transit subsidies
- 403(b) plan with company match
- Mentoring, coaching, and professional development support
- Mostly virtual/remote working environment, including cool office perks
- Trainings and learning opportunities focused on racial justice, trauma, and self-care
- Leadership opportunities through participation in committees that manage distributed decision-making across the organization
HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE
- Please submit your resume and something to show us who you really are! It’s your choice — it could be a written summary, a video cover letter, a digital collage… whatever showcases your passion for the work you’d be doing, feel free to go for it! Using the subject line “Program Coordinator,” send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name in your file(s) attachments. *No phone calls, please*
- We anticipate reviewing resumes through July and conducting phone interviews in August. Those selected to move on in the hiring process will then be invited to a one-hour video interview with our panel during the later part of August.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
- We would love to have someone start in September.
Resource Media prioritizes an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQIA+ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. If you require assistance or accommodation due to disability, please email us at email@example.com.