You’re a creative, curious digital practitioner with a passion for using the power in data and numbers to tell a persuasive story. You can think in Boolean operators, distill KPIs and performance data into insights and actions, and you can spot a vanity metric a mile away.
You know all the ins and outs of running ads on social & digital media channels, from planning to execution and reporting. You’ve used digital platforms to run A/B-style tests to determine winning messages, engaging images, and likely audiences. You also have a keen eye for compelling data visualization, enjoy building them into dashboards and reports, and can use plain language to describe the highlights of your findings.
Most importantly, you’re a committed team player who’s grounded in equity and justice. Your self-awareness and humility help foster healthy relationships with colleagues and partners.
Resource Media is a nonprofit PR firm working for social change. We provide communications services to a variety of progressive organizations and causes and also operate independently or in coalition when we see unmet communications needs in the field. We work on issues that have an impact on the health of people and the planet, including climate change and clean energy; social and environmental justice; public health; food and farms.
At Resource Media, we know that there is no progress without equity. We embrace and honor differences in age, culture, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity and expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees and partners unique. It’s our moral and strategic imperative to build cultural competence and cultural humility and to eradicate oppression in all its forms, both within our organization and in the work that we do.
We commit to:
- Pursue ongoing learning, self-reflection, candor, and transparency about equity and justice in our organization and in our work.
- Build relationships and partnerships that dismantle interlocking systems of oppression and shift power to marginalized communities.
- Evaluate our decision-making and strategy through the lens of equity and justice.
- Conduct regular and public assessments of our progress and effectiveness on equity issues.
- Dedicate two percent of all our revenue to an Equity Impact Program that enables us to respond to more opportunities and needs that arise when working in diverse and historically marginalized communities.
MORE ABOUT THE DIGITAL ADS & RESEARCH PROGRAM DIRECTOR POSITION
We are seeking a Digital Ads & Research Program Director to leverage digital ads and research to help us and help our partners build power for social change. We’re looking for assistance as we create and execute smart paid distribution plans for our partners, figure out what’s really working with them, and then share results and learnings with our colleagues and partners.
The Program Director will utilize a variety of digital tools to bring data and metrics to life, turning numbers and data points into actionable insights through research, analysis, and reporting. The role works across various projects and teams, with support from senior staff. This is a full-time, permanent staff position. Our preference is that this position be based in Resource Media’s Portland, OR office, though we’ll consider remote candidates as well. Comfort working in a virtual, dispersed work environment is a must.
Here are a few things you’ll be responsible for:
Digital ads operations & research
- With support from senior staff, develop and implement paid and organic digital distribution plans for campaigns and projects.
- Run paid digital media ad operations across a range of ad platforms and networks (video, display, social), monitoring metrics and making adjustments to optimize.
- Create reports on digital campaign performance, with insights on learnings. Develop reporting dashboards for long-term projects.
- Develop and implement digital research plans as part of issue landscape audits and organizational communications assessments. Create reports on findings, with actionable insights.
- Keep abreast of digital advertising trends, research and platform changes, as well as new social listening and analysis platforms. Provide updates and skills mentoring for Resource Media staff internally and partners externally.
- Design and scope digital components and budgets for projects.
- Project-manage to move digital work forward, including tracking budgets and time; planning and facilitating meetings; and communicating with RM team members on project status updates, identifying problems or successes.
Equity and justice
- Commitment to equity as the cornerstone of progress toward a just and sustainable world.
- Support and participate in equity and inclusion work in the organization.
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of one’s own race, culture and identity and how it fits into the staff and client environment and landscape, as well as the world at large.
- Model vulnerability and accountability and invite feedback from supervisors, co-workers, contractors, partners, allies and funders on DEI work and leadership.
- Model a sensitivity toward dynamics between white mainstream audiences and the needs and priorities of diverse communities, and the ability to manage work within and for a number of different audiences, regardless of their needs or abilities.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate across differences.
Project & relationship management:
- Coordinate communications activities on campaigns and projects across multiple platforms and partners, creating and managing calendars, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Design and scope work and budgets. Track budgets throughout projects, with starting knowledge on how long specific projects or tasks should take among specific staff members.
- Communicate regularly and accurately with RM team members on project status updates, identifying problems or successes.
- Plan and facilitate meetings, including creating agendas, taking and synthesizing notes and next steps.
- Adhere to hours allocations of assignments from supervisors and project managers, and track time regularly and accurately.
- Provide mentoring to new colleagues and junior staff.
- Maintain and update skills in a changing media landscape, and participate in Resource Media’s efforts to share learnings internally (via the Digital/Creative Lab, for instance) and externally (via the Resource Media blog, team meetings, webinars, etc.).
- Foster a collaborative and mutually supportive work atmosphere throughout the organization.
- Support and exemplify Resource Media equity goals, and foster a collaborative and mutually supportive work atmosphere throughout the organization.
To be successful in this role, these minimum qualifications are essential:
Four to six years of relevant experience in digital ad operations, digital media research and analysis, and metrics and evaluation work; OR an equivalent combination of study or lived experience.
- Demonstrated expertise using social and digital media ad platforms and networks for programmatic, search, and social, including Facebook, Twitter, Google AdWords, YouTube and other display ad networks.
- Demonstrated expertise using social listening, monitoring, and digital media research and analysis tools such as Talkwalker, Meltwater, Cision, Sprout Social, Google Analytics, or LexisNexis to create data visualizations, reports, and dashboards.
- Ability to manipulate or analyze data using systems like Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to design, execute, iterate, and report A/B testing to determine winning narratives, messages, images, etc.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity, and intersectional practice with experience executing those values through your work.
- A willingness to learn on the job and be flexible with the fast-paced nature of campaigns and client work.
- Ability to manage details and track work with multiple teams amidst shifting priorities and timelines.
- Basic understanding of public policy and the role of communications as a central strategy in successful campaigns for social change.
Additional skills we value, but do not require:
- Experience with multicultural communications, transcreation, and digital platforms.
- Second language fluency in a work setting, especially Spanish.
- Experience with content creation for digital and social media audiences.
- Experience in a complementary field, such as organizing and community outreach, political or electoral campaigning, event management or public affairs.
- Experience working with CRMs like EveryAction, Action Network, ActionKit, or Salsa.
We want to be able to attract the best and make sure they keep getting better. Therefore, our employees enjoy benefits that make them productive and contribute directly to their professional and personal development. This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $65k – $85k.
Resource Media offers a lively, spirited, intellectually-stimulating, and geographically diverse workplace. We are committed to the health, wellbeing and work-life balance of our team, so we’ve also added:
- Flexible, family-friendly work schedules
- Generous employer contribution to benefit premiums of approximately 90 percent for employees, spouses/partners and their dependents
- Support for the rest and regeneration of our employees through offering generous paid time off, which includes three weeks of vacation to start; sick days, personal days, eight holidays, as well as an end-of-the-year winter break
- Cell phone subsidy
- Transit subsidy
- 403(b) plan with company match
- Support for professional development
- Mostly virtual/remote working environment
- Access to mentoring and coaching support
- Trainings and learning opportunities focused on racial justice, trauma and self-care
- Leadership opportunities through participation in committees that manage distributed decision-making across the organization
PROCESS & TIMELINE
- Please submit your resume and something to show us who you really are! It’s your choice – that could be a written summary or a video cover letter, or whatever showcases your passion for the work you’d be doing. Using the subject line “Digital Ads & Research Program Director,” send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name on your attachments. No phone calls, please.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be open until filled. We will review resumes through November and anticipate conducting phone interviews near the end of the month. Shortly thereafter, those selected to advance in the hiring process will be invited to a one-hour video interview with our panel. Finalists will be invited to a second one-hour interview with the Director of Operations and additional Resource Media staff.
- This position would ideally start in mid-December.
Resource Media prioritizes an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color; LGBTQIA+, transgender and gender non-conforming people; people of different abilities and neurodiverse identities; and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply. If you require assistance or accommodation during this application and interview process due to disability, please email us at email@example.com.